CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

"Summer Snow"



As a child, our basement house was built into the hillside of the treeless Southern Alberta foothills on the verge of flattening into the expansive prairie. The closest trees were a good 1/2 hour by horseback to Kaye Woodard's, a couple of miles up the road. Their little brown house was next to a bridge on a coulee surrounded by TREES. On beautiful summer days, lying on a little cot in the grass we watched the clouds through the leaves and thought heaven couldn't compare. I yearned for my very own stream, bridge, grass and TREES. It was never a conscious goal and I don't think I ever believed that my dream would come true but I dreamed and wished anyway. It makes me reflect upon Alma's statement in Chapter 29, "for, I know that he (God) granteth unto men according to their desire...." for today some 60 years later, two streams meander lazily past our home. The banks are lined with native Cottonwood Trees -gentle giants that grow profusely, their mammoth trunks straining the bridge girders and deforming the deck flooring. Every year they shed forth their froth filling your eyes, nose and lungs, irritating allergies and decorating your car and clothes. Do I love them? Yes I do, passionately! Remembering my childhood desire, I find myself filled with gratitude for my bridges and creeks, the refreshing 40 degree pond with its 52 second feet of water (whatever that means but is very impressive to fact-spouting men like Sid), the hundreds of trees and the full acre of grass surrounding our house. One magical morning I walked out the front door and for the first time saw the flowers buried in 'summer snow" thanks to my beloved Cottonwood Trees.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

I share your love of trees...and spent most of my childhood longing for trees to climb and play in! Dang that Southern Alberta wind!!!

That is a great picture of your summer snowstorm. I had to look twice to see that it wasn't real snow..and as you know...coming from "our parts" of the world...it very well could be real snow!!!

Jeff and Holly said...

Wow I can't believe that was all from your trees! They are beautiful trees. I am glad that you are living your dream. Someday I hope I can to. Mine is simple, I want to put down roots here and stay for the rest of my life. Oh, and I want an eating area that will be big enough for all my kids and their kids when they are grown up so they will come visit every holiday!

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

Never really thought about trees like that. I've all ways had trees in my yard. Still it’s comforting to me to think about the treeless, windswept prairies in your life and how Canadian choke cherries now grow so abundantly in the front yard. If I want something with all my heart it will come to me. I really will get what I desire. It begs the question what am I wanting will all my heart?

Melissa Thatcher said...

I'll forever look at the farm in a new light. I love the trees, and the stream. It always makes for such a refuge. Thank you for a wonderful get away last weekend!